Friday, 9 August 2013

Hobby Update. 09/08/13.

Here are a few minis I am preparing at the moment, possibly for use at the Oldhammer Weekend.


The Dragon on the left is a Citadel 'Young Dragon' that has been available on and off since it's 80's release. It has often been packaged along with another young Dragon and a hatching Dragon. It's part of the 'pathetic aesthetic' I'm hoping to embrace, these tiny examples of their species will clearly have the lowest stat-line available (most creatures have six random stat-lines in the WFB 3rd ed main rule book).

Next in is a Grenadier Chimera with a suitably freaky looking goat head on it's back. Even with the lowest stat-line, using the Chimera as WYSIWYG makes it an absolute beast so I'm not sure about including it but size-wise it is in keeping with the philosophy I'm going for.

Next up is Lord Savage's future incarnation. It's a 'Wraith Collecting Souls' from the Fiend Factory range and will make a perfect evil army general. Lord Savage, my Dark Elven StD warband leader, is destined to get killed off in the general melee of Orlygg's table (he is a level 10 hero, meh) so I have begun to prepare a future narrative for him which involves an impending Lichehood and a new career as a Nazgul type villain.

Next to him is a Dark Elf Sorcerer, the one brandishing a pentagram symbol. I have an awful lot of Dark Elf mages, both older and newer,  but I really like this one.

Last up is the most pathetic of them all, he's a Hill Giant. Yup, I know. At an advertised 9 feet in 'real' terms this Fiend Factory sculpt isn't even comparable to an Ogre. The Fiend Factory range always did have wobbly scale issues and could never decide if it was a 25mm or a 28mm range but the Hill Giant is certainly the most vertically challenged 'Giant' in my entire collection. I have an old Ral Partha Cloud Giant from the the same era that towers over his little cousin being 2.5 times bigger.

I am looking forward to gaming with some of these soon, though they may require some introduction before the game because even taking an assumed roll of a one for their stats my opponent might get a surprise when these little fellows start rolling lots of dice!

The warband itself is pretty much ready to go, I have gamed with it once already, though I want to finish Lord Savage himself a bit more before I put some photos up. I will get around to writing a narrative for their single battle when I can think up a good one, it won't be easy! My opponent's champion got 4x growth so I spent a lot of time hiding and getting stomped with not so much of the nail-biting action! The end result was that I got a new roll for followers (which I turned down because I'd had an extra roll anyway under Orlygg's original guidelines) and one of my Beastmen was permanently deceased. It truly could have been a lot worse though. I had to roll up my Chaos Weapon (originally I rolled up a Daemon Weapon with a bound Daemonette but swapped it because of the general consensus against them) and got a toughness boost from my 'Sword of Resilience'. Handy against those strength 8 attacks, ugh. My opponent wants another game too, I suppose letting people crush me is one way of enticing new blood into Oldhammer!

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Loving the fact you are preparing your leader for the afterlife! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm keen to use Lord Savage, his warband and the associated narrative to form the nucleus of an army. I have decided to prepare for the most likely narrative that will emerge!

      Delete
  2. Hey, nice minis all of them. Well, it's true that the giant doesn't look... gigantic. Hm, maybe he's just a teenager who has his beard grown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is certainly still 'developing' I think. Despite the whole 'pathetic aesthetic' approach I just had to mount a 2p then a 1p onto the poor fellow's base, then build it up with some polyfilla. The resulting mound gives him an illusion of presence, kind of.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I'll be interested to see how these guys turn out. I like the narrative aspect and planning ahead as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. For me, the hobby is at it's most rewarding when you are planning, gaming and guiding a story along, with a little help/hindrance from those pesky dice!

      Delete