Thursday, 26 June 2014

Grav-shuttle, acquisitions and head-scratching.

Here's what I've been working on lately for Rogue Trader (apologies for spelling it correctly, it's a compulsion).

Daemonscape Casevac vehicle, re-purposed to be a more generic shuttle.

It has been a tricky WIP actually. Being a self-taught painter I tend to experiment and take risks and this doesn't always pay off. It took a bit of time to get the project back on track and though I still wouldn't call it finished, it is tabletop ready.

The base worked ok though, a bit bushy on reflection but it is detachable which allows the shuttle to land for  game purposes.

In other news, I heard on the jungle drums that EM4 had some new/old Spacelords stuff available if you emailed a request.

Needless to say, I emailed a request fairly sharpish. I'm a little predictable in that regard. Here they are.


These will occupy me for the forseeable future along with a few other half started models that I want to have available for BOYL '14.

I wonder if any of you can help me out. I have been having a real problem getting hold of a statue for the Wolftime (the Chapter Approved RT scenario). It is one of the many issues holding up play (friend's wife currently has broken collar bone also) and I'd like to get it resolved.

I've knocked this up but it doesn't really channel the vibe I was looking for.

I was kind of ok with this one at first, it does look like a Space Wolf statue that has had an Ork augment with the spanner representing a bone in the mouth perhaps as a jibe, but it's not quite right and it doesn't feel RT enough.

In the scenario the statue is a former human one (slightly buddha-esque) that has been defiled by Orks. Now, call me a prude but I have no desire to obtain a religious icon and vandalise it for a one-off wargame but I have not been able to come up with an alternative despite trawling thorough local garden stores, DIY stores and online. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Impressive space shuttle. I love seeing such ambitious projects !

    You might want to have a look at Suber's post about the book of the astronomican scenery :
    http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.fr/2013/09/some-scenery-for-book-of-astronomican.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy, I can't wait to use it in anger.

      I am all too aware of Suber's efforts, that's one of the reasons I am fretting over getting things looking impressive! I wouldn't know where to start on replicating what he did with the statue unfortunately, it looks sculpted more or less from scratch. I was hoping to find a 'base' statue I could add Orky bits to.

      Delete
    2. Oh sorry about that, this fella has put the bar quite high for us I admit...

      Delete
    3. Don't apologise! I am not so sunk into my first-world troubles that I can't see the comedy. ;)

      Delete
    4. Wow, thanks for your kind words, guys! But totally undeserved, my Buddork was not that big deal! It was just a chunky sculpt made of DAS putty and that's all.
      If I were to sculpt it again I would for sure go for a Buddha statue and start from that. There should be unexpensive options in any local oriental shop. It would be easier then to re-sculpt head and details. Besides, that would fit the concept of a human desecrated statue replaced by an Ork representation of their Gods, as described in the Bokk of Astronomican.

      Anyway, I understand your reluctancy (as I myself went exactly through that mental process, that's why I ended up sculpting it from scratch). Any of the suggestions Andy is making here below should work fine. Or maybe even one of those Chinese cats with their everlasting paw movement! As you have to resculpt the head, that is not an issue!

      Delete
  2. These EM4 guys are damn cool!
    I think I will make small shopping at Doug's store - it's been a long time since I got the bikers and scavengers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are! I suggest you get over there asap, only £9.

      Delete
  3. What if you could find an already sacrilegious mock-Buddha? I'm thinking that there must be some kind of toys that, with little sensitivity, copy the style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.ufunk.net/en/univers-geek/homer-buddha-kidrobot-art-toy/

      Delete
  4. Or, and I can't find a UK supplier at a quick glance, but these Buddha stress toys are stocked all over the place:

    http://www.officeplayground.com/Buddha-Squeezie-P317.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last suggestion, as I have to get back to work - this one is in the UK, and though it is described as 'tiny' it is 45mm tall: http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=213444&pn=Tiny-Chubby-Buddha---Black.

      Delete
  5. Wow, thanks for all the options Andy, I will start looking straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you've got going here. I'm not sure what to tell you about the statue, I like what you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean, I always appreciate feedback, especially the positive stuff! I am being a little self-critical at the moment, probably because I'm cutting corners to meet deadlines.

      Delete
  7. I always suspected that the Wolf Time statue had originally been proxied by one of these contempory objets d'art

    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/11/15/1352982168961/The-Woody-piggy-bank-issu-008.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, is that a Natwest piggy bank thing? It does look a close match and it doesn't get much more 80's than that. Not sure what they would go for these days, might just have a poke on ebay...

      Delete


  8. The Spacelords and Daemonscape ranges are a perfecyt match in my opinion. In a way the Daemonscape stuff fits with the Spacelords better than the old RT Adventurer types.

    Speaking of Adventurers and blurring the line even further, the Spacelords Adventurers are now available from Doug too. If anything they are even nicer than the Ships Crew (and I really dig the Ships Crew).

    http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=68256.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news, thanks for passing it on!

      Delete
  9. "fits with the Spacelords even better than the range fits with the old RT Adventurer types"

    ReplyDelete