Friday, 25 July 2014

W8 Painting challenge thing.

With painting deadlines pressing in on all sides now is not really the time to be getting involved in painting challenges but as I had so much freehand work piling up on the desk it was getting harder and harder to ignor I decided to use Chico's eighth challenge week (see here) to get some done. Now, Bugbear 'heraldry' isn't exactly the sort of thing that requires too much skill you'd imagine so it's perfect for a freehand extreme beginner like myself. First of all, let's meet Klarg.

KLAAARG!

Klarg is a member of King Grol's Cragmaw tribe and the leader of a small group of Goblins that like to raid traffic along the Triboar trail. Basically, this means I've been collared to run the new D&D adventure from the starter set for a group of adventurers at my club. Let's take a look at this shield device then.

Klarg love new shield.


It's a very simple slap of paint that looks best from a couple of feet away but the effect of a gnashing maw and inhuman eyes over whitewash comes off I think.

One down, many more to go. I bought Klarg in the bones material, against my better judgement, because I needed to expand my D&D suitable mini collection in a relative hurry. A metal version of this mini is something like £9 which is a bit steep when you've got a few dozen bits and pieces to pick up. New D&D helps emphasise the whole theatre of the mind thing and minis aren't 100% necessary by any means but as a dyed-in-the-wool wargamer it just wouldn't feel proper to have a tabletop fight and not get the minis out.

There, hopefully that barely qualifies. Hopefully next week's challenge is painting an Owlbear...



Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Klaarg looks very good to me and I love the almost nipponese inspiration for the herladry. Definitely far better than a hand shaped paint mark on bare wood.
    I like the whole model a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, there was indeed an almost manga-esque vibe I hoped to channel with the 'motion' of the jaws and the communicative eyes. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Lush paint job and the heraldry works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, glad the photos weren't too close to look ok. Still lots of practice ahead where shield designs are concerned but I can't wait to get Klarg on the tabletop!

      Delete
    2. If I pulled off a shield design like that I'd be well proud!

      Delete
    3. Oh for sure I was pleased with the end result but getting the photography to capture what the naked eye captures is very tricky. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Hey, you got a pretty nice one there! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Suber, thanks for the compliment.

      Delete