Tuesday 1 September 2015

A Tale of Four Oldhammerers.

Hi all, been meaning to post for ages but life happened and stuff. I have a tactica centered around what went on at BOYL (the games, not the after-hours stuff, that stays secret I'm afraid) almost ready to go and a whole bunch of updates for my two D&D parties to polish and publish but this life thing, it just won't stop!

As you may already be aware from Chico's and James' blog posts, four of us have banded together to replicate the ever-popular and not-yet-done-to-death formula of 'A Tale of Four Gamers'. James of Realm of Chaos 80s, Chico of Oldhammer on a Budget, Steve of Eldritch Epistles and myself will each collect a Warhammer (fantasy 3e) army of up to 1000 points to be used at BOYL 2016.

Each month we must paint up 100 points and blog at least once about it. No doubt an extra challenge or two (play a game, add a bonus mini etc.) will spice things up as we go along!

Though Steve has yet to post I know he has chosen Slann. Chico picked Hobgoblins and James went for Chaos/Nurgle. I have chosen to do the mighty Undead! I'll be using the venerable Warhammer Armies as my guide.

From the slopes of lead mountain, 7/10 of my compulsory Grim Reapers.


A somewhat motley mix of minis and each one an individual, as is my preference. Equipped with light armour they cost 14 points each so 7 weigh in at 98 points; close enough. I'll concentrate on the compulsory troops while morale is high and try to blast out 10 reapers and 20 skellies as quickly as possible, then reward myself with a general and a (mwahaha) war machine. Christmas to me means Screaming Skulls raining down on my foes.

I have a bit more prep to do but hopefully I'll be back soon with an update on the painting progress.

Before I go, I must mention a very cool project from a friend of mine. Please take a look at the excellent sci-fi mini Kickstarter campaign from Chris at Macrocosm. The total is smashed after less than a week but there are a bunch of lavish stretch goals to aim for now. It is payday after all! Macrocosm: The Next Races.

Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how you paint your undead; are you going for a unifying colour (aside from bone) or are they to be a mish mash of colours from their previous lives..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm planning on doing something of a mish-mash but unified to a degree with some rust and grave-dirt. We'll see what actually happens when deadlines loom large!

      Delete
  2. So good you could join us Mr Warlord. Now how long until those grim reapers are painted up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiming to hit the deadline right at the last possible moment of course, as usual.

      Delete
  3. Damn you all and your expensive troops meaning less to paint hehe. This is shaping up rather quick and nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chico! Yes, well-used though the format may be there's nothing quite like it for raising the old enthusiasm levels. I suspect there will come a time when the cost of my troops doesn't seem like such a bonus.

      Delete
  4. Well it's just 7 models but the goal seems more than achievable so we can expect some extra care I suppose ;)
    Great idea you guys have had !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On paper yes, I suspect life will have its own ideas but I'm ever the optimist!

      Delete
  5. Congrats to all participators ov Ye Tale!
    Cannot wait to see the armies - especially deaders!
    *GO! GO! GO!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really looking forward to this, thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Good luck warlord paul, the undead in 3rd edition are a real finesse force, they either win or lose big.
    Just a friendly reminder: the troop minimums in the armies book were for 3000 point fights so you could bring it down to the minimum of 5 if you want to make room points wise for more skeletons, or even zombies.
    I full heartedly agree with your love of war machines; skull crushers are simply amazing and cheap at half the price, chariots are great because of the auto hits which supersede initiative in combat, truly goretastic
    If I recall the leader of an undead unit has to have a magical weapon, I've found parry works quite well and helps with the low initiate issue.
    I'm rambling. Good luck sir, I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the advice. I don't usually use Warhammer Armies at all, I tend to build fairly eclectic forces more like a collection of warbands but I liked the idea of having some parameters to work to and really emphasise the strength of the whole 'ToFG' format. I will aim for 10 reapers because that gives me a platform to expand from when this is done and also I'm an unashamed fan of double-handed weapons! Thanks for the reminder about the magic weapons, I'll look into that when I do my first command models.

      Delete
  7. WP nice selection, especially the old FTS figure on the far right! One of my favorite FTS figures and one of the very first Citadel figures I ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I love that one too, he's incredibly well detailed and has that feel to him that makes you want to pick him up and work on him with the brush. The prep is all finished and the first colours are going on now, another update soon.

      Delete